Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JET Alternatives that are just like JET [eg. Interac, etc.]

Borderlink, shady and housing all go together. One co-worker was told all the moving in costs could be paid out over time. Surprise. All had to be paid the first month at one time and of course, deducted from his salary. Poor guy received 5,000 yen pay for the month. Another couple in BL owned housing had to pay almost 300,000 in additional cleaning fees before moving out. Fees were paid some time ago, but Borderlink "didn't have any record of it." They were leaving the country, so BL witheld all that money as well. Finding a place on your own will save you money and woe. A few more ALTs suddenly quiting without notice should help the B.O.E.s to realize there is something better.
    New hires receive considerably less than those who have stayed on, but "please don't discuss it with them."
    Last edited by Hamster; November 2nd, 2009 at 23:57.

Teach Away - Teach English Overseas - Teach Away Inc.
    This one seems good and you can teach a bunch of different places, including Japan.

English Program in Korea - EPIK
    JET in Korea
    Genki?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Borderlink, shady and housing all go together. One co-worker was told all the moving in costs could be paid out over time. Surprise. All had to be paid the first month at one time and of course, deducted from his salary. Poor guy received 5,000 yen pay for the month. Another couple in BL owned housing had to pay almost 300,000 in additional cleaning fees before moving out. Fees were paid some time ago, but Borderlink "didn't have any record of it." They were leaving the country, so BL witheld all that money as well. Finding a place on your own will save you money and woe. A few more ALTs suddenly quiting without notice should help the B.O.E.s to realize there is something better.
    New hires receive considerably less than those who have stayed on, but "please don't discuss it with them."
    Yup. Sounds about correct.

Also, the Japanese staff are really really really incompetent. You get the feeling that the only reason they're working there is because no place else will hire them.

The best part I've heard this season is the fact that if an employee catches swine flu, and is forced to stay home for two weeks by their local BOE, Borderlink won't pay them for that time. I told my friend that he could probably sue because if he did catch swine flu it would be from school, and thus be a workplace issue.

Default Re: JET Alternatives that are just like JET (eg. Interac, etc.)

No one will hire them, and, they don't want to be there. Had one week when 3 office people quit. B.O.E. not overly happy when their contact person keeps changing. Have a feeling if your friend does get swine flu, Borderlink will find away around paying it. This is the company that tried to pay us on a daily rate even though the contract stated monthly salary.

Kind of figured that much.

I guess anti-borderlink peoples should spam the internets with bad things. Maybe make a borderlinksucks.com webpage. $10 is a small price to pay for publicly mocking your enemies/ ex employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Petesmp View Post
    This one seems good and you can teach a bunch of different places, including Japan.
    I've been pretty curious about Teach Away but haven't found any info on how it is doing it in Japan. Must be new?

My friend's girlfriend worked for TeachAway in Korea and liked it, supposedly.

one good thing about nonjet alt positions (interac etc) most of march i have half days or i dont go to school at all (technically standby) and still get paid...and no boe visits - so thats at least 1 week of extra vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Petesmp View Post

English Program in Korea - EPIK
    JET in Korea
    I don't know if anyone is still reading this this thread, but Teach Away isn't a dispatch company. Teach Away recruits for Interac. You apply through the site and eventually, you get the Interac application.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah1 View Post
    I don't know if anyone is still reading this this thread, but Teach Away isn't a dispatch company. Teach Away recruits for Interac. You apply through the site and eventually, you get the Interac application.
    Then I'm glad that I didn't get on with them (what they told me in the e-mail was that there were no more available positions for Japan), although they did want me for EPIK, but I wanted to go to Japan so I turned down the offer.
    JET's Back-Up Prom Date 2009