Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "So, why Japan?"

Default "So, why Japan?"

A possible interview question. I didn't get an interview, but I'm interested to hear everyone's responses.

Default Re: "So, why Japan?"

interview answer: japan seems like a neat country with fascinating history and contrasts that would seem to contradict each other anywhere but works fine for japan. have studied the language and some of its history and am interested in learning more.

real answer: i never did study abroad so i wanted to one-up those uppity bitches who wouldn't shut up about their three months in Prague, and i heard the actual work is not worth the US $40k it pays and i want easy money

I was shortlisted.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by meelynnmurder View Post
    have studied the language and some of its history and am interested in learning more.
    That's pretty much it for me. I took Japanese in high school, a family member's a jujutsu school headmaster, I had to take Japanese history in college and I'm in a taiko drumming group .... so, I'm kind of sort of familiar with Japanese language/culture and figured it wouldn't be as hard to adjust to living there as compared to Korea.... which I know pretty much zilch about.

I plan on saying all that if they ask me. I don't want to make up something about having a "deep connection" with Japan, that makes me cringe.

Same as meelynmurder, for the most part. I just find the country kind of interesting. It's not the only one I have an interest in, but it's the country I've had an interest in the longest.

For me, it's connecting to a past that I've never had --- kind of a strange intro, but let me explain.

I'm a Japanese-American, 5th generation ... so I learned my Japanese like everyone else in school. Started in 7th grade. The only person who could speak Japanese were my great-grandparents ... and being the stupid kid I was when I was little, I refused my great-grandmother when she wanted to teach me ... now that I think back on it I was just being an insolent brat.

Anyway, I've realized it more and more, especially since having come to the mainland for college, that lots of Asian kids know English + their native language, usually being second generation ... or even third. But since we were here pre-WWII in Hawaii, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, speaking Japanese became a no-no.

So my grandparents stopped going to Japanese school --- therefore my parents do not know Japanese even if we are "pure" Japanese ... which is kind of strange, because I have been to Japan several times, a couple on short homestays, and my host family doesn't quite seem to get it when I tell them I'm Japanese. They give me this look like "and what else?" ... LOL. Seems like if I'm Japanese I'm supposed to be able to speak Japanese. >.>

Anyway, long story short ... I should think of a more concise answer, but it's sort of a reconnection of sorts for me and a fascination with a culture that merges the past and the present, preserves tradition while accepting modernity ... etc. etc. :-P ...

I just tend to ramble. </rant>
    バカにつける薬はない。

I'm going to be brutally honest.

My grandfather fought in WWII against the Japanese. One of the ships he was on got bombed. I spent my childhood hearing about how cruel the Japanese were as a race and how they were scum of the earth for how they treated our soldiers when they were POWs. My grandfather on principle refused to own anything made in Japan including cars and electronics. My dad was the same until a few years ago when he bought a Japanese car. It was a huge deal for him.

So when I was younger I thought to myself - what's really so bad about these people? I was curious so I started researching bits and pieces about Japan. The more I researched the more interested I became in things like geisha culture (cause we don't have anything like that here), all the different foods (sushi? what's that?) and the animation (you mean cartoons aren't just for kids?). It's just sort of grown from there.

My interview answer will be something watered down. I'll talk about how I took a Japanese history course in university and have taken karate for the past two years and how these things have only increased my interest Japan and its people.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Langus View Post
    I'm going to be brutally honest.

My grandfather fought in WWII against the Japanese. One of the ships he was on got bombed. I spent my childhood hearing about how cruel the Japanese were as a race and how they were scum of the earth for how they treated our soldiers when they were POWs. My grandfather on principle refused to own anything made in Japan including cars and electronics. My dad was the same until a few years ago when he bought a Japanese car. It was a huge deal for him.

So when I was younger I thought to myself - what's really so bad about these people? I was curious so I started researching bits and pieces about Japan. The more I researched the more interested I became in things like geisha culture (cause we don't have anything like that here), all the different foods (sushi? what's that?) and the animation (you mean cartoons aren't just for kids?). It's just sort of grown from there.

My interview answer will be something watered down. I'll talk about how I took a Japanese history course in university and have taken karate for the past two years and how these things have only increased my interest Japan and its people.

Not the Chechens. During the first Chechen-Russian war (1994-1996), both sides took POWs. Many of the Russians who were captured later, after being released, talked about how their captivity was not brutal at all; that the Chechens did not torture them or lock them up in small cramped spaces and the like.

Foreign reports covering the war also commented that the Chechens were very professional soldiers. They never shot their weapons for fun (to celebrate for example), they put the safety on when not using their weapons.

And as for your family having such feelings, such feeligns till exist very much in korea and the china.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Mmmm ... yeah, the Japanese have done a lot of bad things. Can't deny that. I mean ... Shinzo Abe (the PM before Fukuda, who was the PM before Aso ... lol) said it himself that the comfort women system did not exist. *facepalm*

I can understand how your grandfather felt though. My grandfather was on the opposite receiving end. He was a nisei--second-generation Japanese--and he, on the flip side, was treated like "scum" by the United States for being the "enemy".

So he joined, along with many of the nisei in Hawaii and all over the US, the 442nd regiment, 100th battalion --- the famous nisei regiment in the US Army. They joined in order to prove that they were American --- they were born as US citizens but were suddenly treated like foreign ones after Pearl Harbor.

Guess we have opposite stories to share, huh Langus? ^_^
    バカにつける薬はない。

Near Candy Mountain past the Banana King's castle

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this variation of the question: Why Japan and not China?
    Last edited by Phoenix; February 20th, 2009 at 05:58.
    我爱台北

Yeah it's really interesting if you take the time to look at it from both sides.

After a war every nation tries to downplay whatever atrocities they were responsible for and the actions they took "in the name of war". It doesn't change what was done, it only helps people feel less guilty about it. The Japanese treated Canadian POWs like shit during the war and Canada treated its Japanese citizens like criminals and moved them to, for lack of a better term, concentration camps and sold off their properties. There was underhanded dealings going on on both sides of that fight so neither side is entirely immune to blame.

Ali: I think you're living in a dream world after being brainwashed by nationalist rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by meelynnmurder View Post
    real answer: i never did study abroad so i wanted to one-up those uppity bitches who wouldn't shut up about their three months in Prague, and i heard the actual work is not worth the US $40k it pays and i want easy money

I was shortlisted.
    I see you had one of those as well.

Yup. :-P ... war never brings out the best in anyone.

I'll save the whole glorified story for myself though --- no one here needs to hear my take on WWII. Lol. I don't even want to hear my own take on it. Hahaha ^_^;;

On a random note ... a virus ate my computer and I had to restore Windows XP from the system backup discs I brought with me.

That was fun. 3-4 hours of my night ... stuck trying to reload.

I've got basic functions back ... saved my school files to a flash drive ... so the only humbug part is I've lost my music and pictures ... but pictures are on Facebook and music is redownloadable ... maybe this was a sign that I needed less on my computer anyway ^_^
    バカにつける薬はない。

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar SMAP Peas View Post
    so the only humbug part is I've lost my music and pictures ...

Dont let that Hawaii vocab slip out in your interview

Humbug is a Hawaii thing? I first heard it while doing A Christmas Carol play in the 4th grade.

Of course I never really spoke too much slang or pigeon...damn you private school and Canadian university.

Why Japan? I say, "Why NOT Japan?" Haha. All jokes aside, because of my racial background and upbringing. Not too mention all of the bloody courses I took in high school and university. I think I took about 15 - 20 Japan-related courses...at least.

LOL. The funny thing is I don't speak it either! I sound like a fool if I try --- lol. I am the product of a private school >.< ... and lived in Hawaii Kai for the most part ... so yeah, very little pidgin influence there, haha.

Humbug is a Hawaii thing? lol. Scrooge: "Bah humbug ..." ... lol, is it really a Hawaii thing?

Don't worry ... I won't let any Hawaii vocab slip out. LOL. At least, not like haole, and da kine ... etc. ... hahahah
    バカにつける薬はない。

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this variation of the question: Why Japan and not China?
    I studied in China for a year and got a minor in the language in college.
    I wonder how bad it would be to say that I got tired of toilets that are holes in the ground.
    Plus Japan is cool
    I got that question - why China. I had studied Chinese for a little while and was the vice-president of the Chinese club at my school but I was not a member of a Japan club or anything like that.

I talked about an interest in Japanese culture and the language. I got a follow-up about the Chinese language and I mentioned that I liked Chinese as a culture but aesthetically, I didn't like the language and in my cursory knowledge of Japanese, I found it more pleasing to the ear. If I were you, I would explain that I've experienced Chinese culture and I want to see what Japanese culture is liked and how the workplace and education system provide a backdrop that being a student doesn't provide.

BTW, Japan has squat toilets. Lots of them.

BTW, Japan has squat toilets. Lots of them
    Lots of them without toilet paper or soap too...handy thing to know before you do your business.

interview answer: because I've invested a lot of time and effort into learning the language (true)

back of my mind answer: because yellow women get my rocks off (also true)

Near Candy Mountain past the Banana King's castle

Quote Originally Posted by Urthona View Post
    I got that question - why China. I had studied Chinese for a little while and was the vice-president of the Chinese club at my school but I was not a member of a Japan club or anything like that.

I talked about an interest in Japanese culture and the language. I got a follow-up about the Chinese language and I mentioned that I liked Chinese as a culture but aesthetically, I didn't like the language and in my cursory knowledge of Japanese, I found it more pleasing to the ear. If I were you, I would explain that I've experienced Chinese culture and I want to see what Japanese culture is liked and how the workplace and education system provide a backdrop that being a student doesn't provide.

BTW, Japan has squat toilets. Lots of them.
    I was planning on doing a serious answer similiar to that. (I totally agree about the language- Chinese is not a particularily pretty language) My exscuse is basically that my school didn't have upper level Japanese language/history/culture classes so I decided focusing on China and Chinese was more worth it.

But damn, I was really hoping I would escape the squat toilets.
    我爱台北

But damn, I was really hoping I would escape the squat toilets.
    Well there are also the super robot toilets. They'll play symphony music, make running water noises, heat your seat, massage you, and wipe your ass for you too.