View Poll Results: Stay or go? (Recontract for a second year or not?)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay

11 50.00%
  • Go

11 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wakatta Asks the Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Wakatta Asks the Peanut Gallery

I mean, seriously, is it so hard to understand why someone might be antsy to get back? I've been out of school for three years, and in Japan for almost a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    I mean, seriously, is it so hard to understand why someone might be antsy to get back?
    No, not at all. It was just another viewpoint - I left after my second year for very similar reasons.

That and I was turning into an inordinately grand twat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey View Post
    No, not at all. It was just another viewpoint - I left after my second year for very similar reasons.

That and I was turning into an inordinately grand twat.
    Yeah. Exactly. It's not so much that I'm "oh no boo hoo too old", it's more like ... this stuff between college and law school, right or wrong, is framed in my mind as a "break". And each year, I was kind of like, "Okay, I really should get back to it". This year, I think I really hit my tipping point. Problems notwithstanding, I'm looking forward to law. Another year -- bringing the total to 4 years of a "break" -- would just be too much. Psychologically and personally, I think this is the right move for me: squeeze as much out of Japan as I can in these next five months, and then move on.

Quote Originally Posted by John Chuidian View Post
    Do what you want man; if you're more passionate about being in Japan and you're not in a rush, stay a little longer.
    Your logic is quite reasonable here. In my case, it applies perfectly, although the facts are the reverse and as a result so is the conclusion: I'm more passionate about going to law school than Japan, so I'm going to leave.

Always best to go with your gut instinct I say which in this case definitely seems to be to get on with things and go to law school. Good decision!

Plus your placement sounds great and I want it lol

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Good to see you've made your decision, Wakatta. Feels good, doesn't it? Part of me will always regret that I didn't stay in Osaka for a 3rd year, but if I had I might never have scored a job in England and certainly not the one I've got...
    what you lose on the roundabout you gain on the hurdy-gurdy.
    All the best for your last months in Japan - don't wish it away too quickly in your eagerness to get to law school. It will pass only too quickly!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    Good to see you've made your decision, Wakatta. Feels good, doesn't it? Part of me will always regret that I didn't stay in Osaka for a 3rd year, but if I had I might never have scored a job in England and certainly not the one I've got...
    what you lose on the roundabout you gain on the hurdy-gurdy.
    All the best for your last months in Japan - don't wish it away too quickly in your eagerness to get to law school. It will pass only too quickly!
    Oh, believe me: I'm not wishing it away at all! Sure, I'm looking forward to getting back to the states, and I'm looking forward to law, but I will certainly be sad to go! And I'm planning on making the absolute most of these next months. ... I should probably post on ITIL a little less.

stay.

now provide lulz

Quote Originally Posted by danielplainview View Post
    stay.

now provide lulz
    Sure!

But yeah, I'm definitely going. It makes me a little sad, but I am convinced it is the right decision. In the meantime, I'm going psycho on Japanese with fresh inspiration from alljapaneseallthetime.com. Although I think that guy's -actual- method is a little insane, and by a little I mean not-so-much-jokingly-but-really-kinda-seriously-insane, he had some genius insights.
    Last edited by Wakatta; February 25th, 2009 at 19:07.

Damn, well... we'll miss you.

(in a non-gay way)

Oh, believe me: I'm not wishing it away at all! Sure, I'm looking forward to getting back to the states, and I'm looking forward to law, but I will certainly be sad to go! And I'm planning on making the absolute most of these next months. ... I should probably post on ITIL a little less.
    Which law schools are you applying to?

Awww! Thanks, DPV! That really touched me. Also in a non-gay way. (But seriously, thanks! I appreciated it.) On the plus side, I'm pretty sure this placement will make the year (years?) of whichever lucky 09er gets it. Seriously, it's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    Which law schools are you applying to?
    I actually already applied. Of my acceptances, I'm probably going with Mich. The heartless bastards at Berkeley turned me down. I feel like going Cato on them and putting, "In addition, Berkeley's admissions department is full of douchebags." at the end of every legal document I write.

Mich is a good school, the only thing is you will have to live in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    Mich is a good school, the only thing is you will have to live in Michigan.
    That's true!

But I spent 4 years in Minnesota for college, so I'm at least somewhat accustomed to the cold. Besides, Ann Arbor seems like a reasonably nice town.

Ann Arbor is a nice town, by Michigan standards.

That's true!

But I spent 4 years in Minnesota for college, so I'm at least somewhat accustomed to the cold. Besides, Ann Arbor seems like a reasonably nice town.
    Yes and let's not forget that while it may be cold as balls up there, buildings in the United States are insulated and heated.

Sometimes I fantasize about what it would be like to walk into my home and be able to feel warmth.

It isn't the cold that makes Michigan Michigan, that just adds to the misery.

And I'm planning on making the absolute most of these next months. .
    This is a good plan.

Once it hit me that I was going to leave Japan...I travelled / did even more than I had in my first year if you do that then you'll go home without feeling like you missed out.

*you can finish your JET year with the tottori beach party *

Have fun!!