Thread: Using Japanese Cell phone in the US

Default Using Japanese Cell phone in the US

I like my phone I got here from AU. Its bilingual...as much as phones made for Japan which claim to also be in English CAN be at least....and I did pay for it.

So I was wondering, when I go back home and get a phone plan with whatever American cell phone carrier do you think there is any chance I will be able to use my phone I got here in Japan? What would I have to do in order to make that work?

Default Re: Using Japanese Cell phone in the US

It might depend on different contracts, but I'm pretty sure I was told that I'd have to return my phone in order to cancel the contract.
    And aside from that, I believe the networks in Japan are way different to other countries, so it isn't a simple matter of just unlocking the phone to be able to use it...

Though I am sure someone else knows for sure - I like my phone too but had resigned to saying goodbye to it
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.

Assuming you've paid off your phone then it's yours to keep. To have it function back in the US you need to either unlock your phone or have your SIM card hacked. Both of which will result in minor annoyances with network disconnections and what not.

If it's a Quad-Band GSM then you can use it with T-Mobile, AT&T, or most other GSM providers. Here is a comprehensive list for you.

It still has to be unlocked as Dawg mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Roving_gypsy_gurl View Post
    all the tots want to do is dig a hole, show me the hole, and then fill the hole in again.

I don't know if I messed something up when I left Japan, but my phone works here just fine. It's a bilingual from AU (Sanyo, I think), and somehow I'm able to get reception from Verizon here even though I cancelled my contract in Japan and everything. I don't have a phone number, but I've test-called my US cell phone and my dorm phone, and it goes through.

Still, because I don't know if AU somehow keeps track of things, I don't use it for anything besides an alarm clock... But if you can bring it back with you and see what you can have done. I never tried getting a plan with mine, but it doesn't have any problems connecting to the network once I have it turned on international mode.

Eira, what model was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

yeah, get it unlocked and then get a plan from a provider that has sim cards, AT&T, T mobile, like OIP said.
    you just need to get the phone unlocked and use the american SIM. I have a samsung trilingual 707sc that ran on a tmobile sim perfectly.

Uh... The number on it is A5527SA.

http://www.sanyo-keitai.com/au/a5527sa/

It has global passport, whatever that is. Maybe it's just something spiffy that lets people use the phones wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eira View Post
    Uh... The number on it is A5527SA.

http://www.sanyo-keitai.com/au/a5527sa/

It has global passport, whatever that is. Maybe it's just something spiffy that lets people use the phones wherever.
    yeah, i think AU started that a few years ago for japanese that had contracts with them, so they can travel to different countries and just use the same phone.

i dont know if that would be a good idea to use for moving back to your home country though, because you'll just be getting roaming charges no matter what.

I read a while back that some new phones disable certain features (like camera) if an unrecognised carriers sim card is inserted, even if you have unlocked it.

Just something to keep in mind.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

I could definitely see why some people would want to use their Japanese phone when they return home. My phone here though is no thrills, lol.

half of the features won't work anyway. Anyone else notice on newer softbank phones that SMS is now limited to 70 characters (full-width) rather than 160 when using normal half width english characters? That makes it even less attractive to try to get the damn thing to work at home.

My UK phone was awesome, I miss it sometimes.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishChris View Post
    My UK phone was awesome, I miss it sometimes.
    I agree. My American (well, ok, Canadian-made) Blackberry was awesome.

I know Docomo has a Blackberry, but it doesn't play up to the Japanese market well, like the iPhone, and thus, doesn't have many of the features that make having a Japanese phone worth it, like IR, IC, and 1seg.