Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Applying for '05? Post here!

Default Applying for '05? Post here!

Just curious: who all is applying for 2005?

*raises his hand*

Yes, I'm one of those people.

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

So am I, kiddies! Dwnloaded the PDF yesterday. Hey, anyone know how to convert this to a form you can type on in MSWord? Or am I going to have to write on it by hand?
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

There is a program I've seen at Best Buy that allows you to convert pdfs to Word but other than that, handwrite or typewrite~ (wait, what's that last thing I said )

Ugh, yeah...last year I killed a redwood trying to type each page out without making any errors. The only typewriter I could find didn't have an erase feature, and I had to guess where to align each section before starting to type.

It is pretty odd they don't have the form in Word though. Ah well...

Heya Sam, what part of Australia are you from? I used to live about eight hours north of Perth in a little town called Exmouth.

Yer, I am going to apply too....

Feeling nervous about it all already!

Howdy Oak, I'm probably a few thousand kilometres from there, I live on the east coast near Sydney...

Hello! I'm a 2005 applicant as well! 8)

Welcome to ITIL Osmund!

Don't fret it just yet, you still have plenty of time to type up the application. There's lots of helpful info on this site as well.

------------------------------------

Howdy Seamus

-------------------------------------

Sam: You live on the happenin' side...although I did like the miles of deserted beaches.

-------------------------------------

Counted 5 thus far, any more?

Thanks Oak....
    I have been a lurker for a few months, but didn't feel right saying anything till now.

Are any of you learning, planning to learn or already know Japanese?
    I have just started beginners class and it is crazy! But lots of fun.

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

Quote Originally Posted by osmund
    Are any of you learning, planning to learn or already know Japanese?
    I have just started beginners class and it is crazy! But lots of fun.
    Took an intro class in college, and enjoyed it. I know the basics, count to 10, formal and informal greetings, how much is, where is, thank you, excuse me, how do you say ______ in Japanese? What are you, stupid? I'm sorry, I don't speak japanese, I understand/don't understand, etc. etc.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot more, especially the spoken stuff. And learning enough kana that I can at least phonetically write and read.
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

I studied Japanese through High School and lived over there for a year as an exchange student, but didn't continue with it through Uni so I'm a little rusty. I'm sure I'll pick it up quick enough if I were to go back over there... (crosses fingers)

Currently working through Hiragana in a beginner college course, which is good times. Hopefully I'll have the basics of Hiragana and Katakana down by next spring, along with some simple conversational Japanese.

The textbooks we're using are "Japanese for Busy People: Kana Edition" and the workbook, really good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak
    The textbooks we're using are "Japanese for Busy People: Kana Edition" and the workbook, really good so far.
    I agree, dem's good books. I used them when I 1st started out and they helped significantly~

I knew and still know diddly squat japanese and it didn't affect my application, infact I was one of those that got 'the letter' *looks around for spys*.
    as for the application form, i made sure I had all my relevant documents available before I filled it out, transcripts, essays references and then i filled it out online! it was easier then phaffing around with tiny boxes and trying to convert PDF. they give you a week to send all the rest of the stuff along and pretty soon, I was applied and I had a nice interview all lined up.
    I would reccomend swatting up on japanese news, find out who Koizumi is and the names of the emporer and empress, also find one japanese author although i didn't know one.
    finally don't sweat it, before you know it you'll be here having fun like the rest of us and teaching children how to speall things wrongly like.
    I just think they are looking for someone who isn't gonna freak out when they get here and leave, and someone who is adaptable and tollerant of the often infuriating, japanese way of doing things!.
    ganbate!
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shotokai
    I knew and still know diddly squat japanese and it didn't affect my application, infact I was one of those that got 'the letter' *looks around for spys*.
    as for the application form, i made sure I had all my relevant documents available before I filled it out, transcripts, essays references and then i filled it out online! it was easier then phaffing around with tiny boxes and trying to convert PDF. they give you a week to send all the rest of the stuff along and pretty soon, I was applied and I had a nice interview all lined up.
    I would reccomend swatting up on japanese news, find out who Koizumi is and the names of the emporer and empress, also find one japanese author although i didn't know one.
    finally don't sweat it, before you know it you'll be here having fun like the rest of us and teaching children how to speall things wrongly like.
    I just think they are looking for someone who isn't gonna freak out when they get here and leave, and someone who is adaptable and tollerant of the often infuriating, japanese way of doing things!.
    ganbate!
    In total agreement, fill it out online. Make sure you have everything first and then do it.

Easy

That's just for the U.K., though, right? As far as I know, the U.S. doesn't have that option.

I would definitely like to be wrong on this, though, as I'd much prefer to fill the application out online...

Bloody hell~ I wish the USA had the online thingy, but we don't... Yet. That's another question I'll ask the consulate on~

Shucks. That' would've been really cool.